Saturday, February 18, 2012

Student liked it better when he was the only Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan on campus

Junior DIS major Will Campbell admitted to a reporter yesterday that he felt a lot better when he thought he was the only Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3k) fan on campus.

"My first two and a half years here, it just kind of set me apart," Campbell said. "People would know me as 'the MST3k guy' or 'the bot dude.' Now who am I?"

The show, about a man trapped in space with robots who are forced to watch bad movies, has inspired a cult following around the world. Its fans, known as MSTies, are rabid in their support of the 90's show.

"I first got into it in high school, and fell in love right away," Campbell continued. "I have about 4 dozen shows on tape, and I try to get up to watch the 9 a.m. shows on Sci-Fi. I even started a petition when it was canceled from Comedy Central."

Campbell's life came crashing down on February 24 when he walked into his telecommunications class, only to see a fellow student with a classic Tom Servo "I'm Huge!" shirt on. At first, Campbell chalked it up to a coincidence.

"Then, about a week later, he came in wearing a 10th Anniversary shirt, the kind you could only get at the second convention. That's how I knew he was a true fan. Since then, I haven't quite known what to do."

Campbell's friends have noticed a change in his behavior. "He used to always be saying things like, 'Hi-Keeba!' and 'Mitchell!' and talking about the joys of watching bad movies," roommate Jason Simmons explained. "Now he just keeps to himself, even more than usual. Quite frankly, it's a hell of an improvement."

Campbell has been too distraught to talk about his fandom with the other MST3k fan, fearing that he will be blown away by his classmate's devotion. "If he knows way more than I do, if he owns twice as many tapes as me, well, I just don't think I'll be able to handle that. I'm in a fragile emotional state right now, and I just don't want to get hurt anymore."

No comments:

Post a Comment